WIC Program

WIC – Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants and Children

WIC helps supply nutritious foods so that pregnant women, new moms and young children eat well, learn about nutrition and stay healthy.  WIC helps children reach their full growth potential and WIC children enter school ready to learn and show better cognitive performance.


Who is eligible?

  1. Pregnant women
  2. Women who are breastfeeding a baby under 1 year of age
  3. Women who have had a baby in the past six months
  4. Children under the age of 5
  5. Resident of the state of Missouricard


Some of the services provided to eligible clients at no cost include:

  • Nutrition education and guidance.
  • Health screenings which include height/weight and BMI (Body Mass Index) charting as well as hemoglobin testing.
  • Breastfeeding education and support as well as a breast pump loan program
  • Issuance of vouchers/checks to purchase nutritious foods at local grocery stores to supplement your diet. Some of these foods are milk, cheese, infant formula, iron-fortified cereal, eggs, beans, peanut butter, fruits and vegetables.
  • Referrals to a variety of health and social services agencies and programs.  Examples include: Medicaid, MC+, Food Stamps, Prenatal care, Medical and Dental Services, Family Planning, Immunizations, Head Start, Early Childhood, First Steps.

Contact WIC

Call Carter County Health Center to schedule an appointment.  Applicants will need to bring the following to the certification appointment:

  • Proof of Identity – Bring a current, valid photo ID such as a driver’s license,   work/school ID card, military card or passport.
  • Proof of Residency – Bring the most recent utility bill, monthly rent payment, mortgage payment, or junk mail that has your name and address on it.
  • Proof of Income – Bring the most recent employment/unemployment pay stubs, DFS   benefits award letter, Medicaid card, MC+ card, or EBT card.  If self employed bring a copy of your federal tax form.
  • Shot Record/ Crib Card – Bring shot record for infants 2 months and older.  Bring crib card from the hospital for infants younger than 2 months.

Carter County Health Center
PO Box 70 
Van Buren, MO 63965

 In accordance with Federal law and U.S. Department of Agriculture policy, this institution is prohibited from discriminating on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, age, or disability. To file a complaint of discrimination, write U.S. Department of Agriculture, Director, Office of Adjudication, 1400 Independence Avenue, S.W., Washington, D.C. 20250-9410 or call (866) 632-9992 (voice) or (202) 260-1026 (local). USDA is an equal opportunity provider and employer.

USDA Nondiscrimination Statement
FNS nutrition assistance programs, State or local agencies, and their sub-recipients, must post the following Nondiscrimination Statement:
In accordance with Federal civil rights law and U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) civil rights regulations and policies, the USDA, its Agencies, offices, and employees, and institutions participating in or administering USDA programs are prohibited from discriminating based on race, color, national origin, sex, disability, age, or reprisal or retaliation for prior civil rights activity in any program or activity conducted or funded by USDA.

Persons with disabilities who require alternative means of communication for program information (e.g. Braille, large print, audiotape, American Sign Language, etc.), should contact the Agency (State or local) where they applied for benefits. Individuals who are deaf, hard of hearing or have speech disabilities may contact USDA through the Federal Relay Service at (800) 877-8339. Additionally, program information may be made available in languages other than English.

To file a program complaint of discrimination, complete the USDA Program Discrimination Complaint Form, (AD-3027) and at any USDA office, or write a letter addressed to USDA and provide in the letter all of the information requested in the form. To request a copy of the complaint form, call (866) 632-9992.

Submit your completed form or letter to USDA by:

(1) Mail: U.S. Department of Agriculture
Office of the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights
1400 Independence Avenue, SW
Washington, D.C. 20250-9410;
(2) Fax: (202) 690-7442; or
(3) Email: program.intake@usda.gov.
This institution is an equal opportunity provider.



Who is a peer counselor?
Women in the community with personal breastfeeding experience who provide information and support to other mothers.   “That’s what it’s all about…moms helping moms.”

What Does A Peer Counselor Do?

  • Gives basic breastfeeding information and support to new mothers.
  • Helps mothers achieve their own breastfeeding goals.
  • Regularly contacts mothers during their pregnancy, during the early days of breastfeeding, and until the mother chooses to wean her baby.
  • Refers mothers with concerns outside the peer counselor’s scope of practice to appropriate lactation experts or healthcare professionals.
  • Refers non-WIC mothers to other community breastfeeding resources, if they are not eligible for WIC.
  • Is a role model for other WIC mothers.

You can contact us by calling: 573-323-4413 or 1-800-869-4086, extension-0.

Skip to content